About Us

Are you ready for the truth? The REAL truth of who is REALLY running this country and the world. You may be shocked or shake your head in disbelief, but the truth is that everything you have learned or been told in your lifetime has been slanted or distorted to fit an agenda. It's the way they keep the populace under control. You have been programed to believe the lies. It's hard not to when the lies and half-truths are bombarding our brains daily. Do you want to continue to be controlled or are you ready to think for yourselves? We must restore a reverence for the principles of liberty underlying the U.S. Constitution in the minds of enough Americans to tip our country back toward limited constitutional government. Those who understand the importance of the Constitution to liberty will defend it. Those who don’t, won’t. - Editor: M. Richard Maxson - Contributors: George Sontag, Zeno Potas, and Phillip Todd.

Sunday, April 5, 2020

A Democrat Finds True Patriotism


by

       Zeno Potas*


      I think those of us on the left need to take a long look in the mirror and have an honest conversation about what’s going on. I was active part of the Democratic Party apparatus during the first decade of this century. I was one of those Democrats who considered anyone who voted for Trump a racist. I thought they were horrible (yes, even deplorable) and worked very hard to eliminate their voices from my social media by unfriending or blocking people who spoke about their support of him, however minor their comments. I was too influenced by the news media and the books and articles I had read over the years. I watched a lot of MSNBC, was convinced that everything he had done was horrible, that he hated anyone who wasn’t a straight white man, and that he had no redeeming qualities.

      During the early years of the Obama administration I saw firsthand how the optimism and hope that brought Obama to office soon began to turn to resentful hatred of conservatives and worsened as time went on. Nowadays this new visceral hostility has led many on the left to paint even the most mundane policy action by Republicans as “racist” or “killing people.” This was a standard liberal talking point. I’ve seen almost every Democratic candidate in person and noticed that their messages were almost universally one of doom and gloom, not only focusing on the obvious disagreements with Donald Trump, but also making sure to emphasize that the country is a horribly racist place.

      When I stopped to take note of the sheer magnitude of hate coming from the left, I started to question everything. I started making a proactive effort to break my echo chamber by listening to voices I thought I would disagree with. I wanted to understand their perspective, believing it would confirm that they were filled with hate for anyone who wasn’t like them. That turned out not to be the case. The more voices outside the left that I listened to, the more I realized that these were not bad people. They were not racists, nazis, or white supremacists. We had differences of opinions on social and economic issues, but a difference of opinion does not make your opponent inherently evil. And they could justify their opinions using arguments, rather than the shouting and ranting I saw coming from my side of the aisle.

      I started to question everything. How many stories had I been sold that weren’t true? I had heard about #WalkAway movement but MSNBC told me it was fake and a bunch of Russian bots. What if my perception of the other side is wrong? I started to meet real people who had been Democrats and made the decision to leave because they could not stand the way the left was behaving.

      How is it possible that half the country is overtly racist? I watched town halls they held with different minority communities and I saw sane, rational discussion from people of all different races, backgrounds, orientations, and experiences. I joined the Facebook group for the community and saw stories popping up daily of people sharing why they are leaving the Democratic Party. This wasn’t fake. These people are not Russian bots. Moreover, it felt like a breath of fresh air. There was not universal agreement in this group — some were Trump supporters, some weren’t — but they talked and shared their perspective without shouting or rage or trying to cancel each other.

      So, I had to ask myself the biggest question of all and it was this: Was it possible that Trump derangement syndrome is a real thing, and had I been suffering from it for the past three years? Did I hate Trump so much that I wanted to see my country fail just to spite him and everyone who voted for him?

      I have gotten away from the pablum of the party and it's supporting media. I have opened my eyes to critical/analytical thinking and have come to a rational conclusion. The Democratic Party I see today is very different from the one I knew and worked for in my younger years. It is not the party of hope, it is the party of negativity. Instead of seeking support from the center of the political spectrum it has moved ever leftward, embracing positions that leave millions of Americans feeling left out.

      I no longer want to be as negative, support rioting and violence, be disrespectful, pretend to be patriotic while subverting the laws of the land, protect illegal criminal immigrants, and support Democrats, who I helped elect to Congress, who are not working for the people but are working for their own personal gains. If they really cared about the people, they would try to work with the Republicans and help make America great again. I am not surprised by the negative response President Trump has received when he asks for unity for the American people - it is expected from the Democrats as they continue to destroy themselves.

       It took 36 years for me to see through the Democratic mystique of what the Republican Party is. As the late Democrat Daniel Patrick Moynihan famously said, "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts."


*As told to the American Constitutionalist

No comments:

Post a Comment